Thursday 21 February 2013

Wherefore art thou, Blogger?

I have recently been having problems trying to publish posts to my blogsite? I have an entertaining little pink message as follows - "An error occurred while trying to save or publish your post. Please try again." Immediately followed by the cheery blue message - "Ignore warning."

Now I still remember the pre-personal-computer days of my undergrad years in Pietermaritzburg, when computer programming meant an elaborate and clumsily inefficient method of using hundreds of punched cards to convey a few instructions which were read by a card reader which functioned a bit like the modern paper money counter in your local bank. Most of my efforts in card punching were pronounced wanting by the reading machine (linked as it was to the Durban campus "server" about an hour's drive away) in robust computer language - "Error! Abort!" it would cry. It was an impatient machine and on the back of more than one or two errors it spat out a final humiliating "Error! Abort! Fin!"

The most pleasure I received from computer programming in those days was marvelling at the wasteful abundance of coloured card papers littering the floor (having experienced war torn and paper destitute Rhodesia) and saving stacks of cards to write notes on (which I must confess also gave me a perverse sense of joy).

Having received such an early insight into the basics of a computer's mind - do I look like the kind of person who is likely to ignore the pink writing in favour of the blue?

No comments:

Post a Comment