Saturday 25 June 2022

Brain Stem Stroke

 It was quite a surprise to wake up after surgery to discover that I'd had a brain stem stroke after all. It came about while the surgeons teased tumour tissue off the brain stem. The first I was aware of was the physiotherapists checking my relative sensation and movement in my left and right sides.

So I have ataxia on the right - a shaky right arm (unless I keep my hand at rest against something to steady it) and (at first) uncontrollable movement of my right leg. With lots of physiotherapy that has improved.

My left side is odd in that I have reduced sensation on the left - from the midline. I have reduced ability to feel hot and cold and pain on the left. I discovered early on that I must test water temperature with my right hand or everything feels lukewarm, even if I am being scalded! Showers are an odd experience - I love feeling the hot water cascading over me. Now, only the right side gets the hot water. The left side only ever experiences lukewarm water. 

I also have almost numb spots on the left, especially on the sole of my foot. Sort of like when the foot has gone to sleep.

The pain insensitivity has come in handy. I used to think that the nurses were very good at taking blood or giving injections painlessly, until I realised that there was a general pain insensitivity on the left. After that realisation, I would ask for needles to be given on the left. Many nurses thought I was a real stoic! As I was in hospital for seven months and had daily anti-coagulant injections to my abdomen (hospital policy) that added up to lots of injections, cannula insertions and blood drawings.

Alas, my ability to walk unaided has never returned (it is a year since the operation) and I don't expect it will now. As well as everything else, my core is weak and I need constant exercises to strengthen it. My left leg also shakes when I walk - no one is sure why, probably weak muscles. The right foot either drags or the entire leg moves like that of a marionette in the hands of an inept puppeteer. I walk holding on to a 4-wheel walker, but cannot walk far. 

Walking is complicated by a lack of balance - probably the subject of its own entry. The net effect though is to feel continually unsteady as I move. It's sort of like being drunk without the alcohol!

So, I mostly get around by wheelchair or stay in bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment